Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Fearful patients

I don't know about you but working on fearful patients take it's toll on me. I understand that some of them have been through a lot of dentistry due to previous neglect. I also understand that may carry the scars of previous unpleasant dental experiences. Understanding all of this should make it easier for me to treat these patients, but it doesn't. When a patient sits in my chair and grabs the side arms like they are getting ready for their next unpleasant experience, that raises my blood pressure. I find that the only thing that works for me is to talk them through it, and make sure to compliment them for something, even if it is just keeping the appointment. This seems to work for me.


What do you think?

4 comments:

  1. Fearful patients are emotionally draining. Sometimes I wish we could refer them to therapy/counseling. I always give them instruction to raise their hand when they want me to stop. Sometimes this backfires when they stop after every tooth, but mostly it empowers them and they do pretty well.

    The absolute worst is when they grab my arm/hand. I feel totally violated and assaulted. (Not to mention how dangerous it is for their safety).

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have to realize that when a person has a fear of going to the dentist, they can't stop the anxiety that they feel. I find it helps to talk to them about anything but dental. Talk about their kids, vacation or anything else that might distract them. You might not be able to scale as aggressively as you would like at the first appointment, but you must build a relationship with them first. After they trust you, you would be surprised what they will let you do. A little understanding and compassion is all that they need, try putting yourself in their shoes for just a minute. Trust me, you will gain patients that love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fearful pt may not be able to stop the anxiety, but they can certainly control how they react to it. I have fears when I visit the MD, but I would never dream of making my problem theirs. I allow them to do what needs to be done without making a scene or demanding special treatment. I walk out shaking, sweating, and wanting to vomit. Some pts just like the control they are able to wield when they use fear as an excuse.

    ReplyDelete