Sunday, August 29, 2010

Seems like family

Those of us who have worked in a general practice for many years have seen the kids grow up. Sometimes we even see the kids of the kids in the practice as patient. Sometime these patients seem like family. We have been through the high school and college years with the parents. We have been through the weddings and new births too.
We have some elderly patients who have been coming for many years. Life happens and unfortunately death happens as well. In a Wal-Mart parking lot I met Pete's wife after Pete's death. Pete was fun everytime he came in. I held her and told her how sorry I was to hear of his passing. She began to cry and hugged me hard and then I began to cry too. I told her he was in a better place and we should be happy for that. After we parted I thought about the connection we subconsciously form with patients. Pete was not part of my immediate family, and I only saw him every 6 months, but I really felt her loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment