Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Interesting Family

Today I had the most interesting family. The mother was Laotian and the father was American. They had 2 boys, five and seven. I thought to myself this is going to be interesting. How will I handle patient ed. with these boys. They were speaking to their mother in Laotian and I assumed that they didn't know English. I was very surprised and happy to hear them speak to their father in English. When the mother spoke to them in Laotian, they answered her in perfect Laotian. When the father spoke to them in English, they answered him in perfect English. My patient ed communication problem was solved. What really surprised me is that they never confused the two languages. The boys did not mix Laotian words with English words. WOW. Just when you think you know it all.


What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment