Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Third Molars

I don't know about you, but I really have a hard time cleaning the distal of third molars. Even when patients have good hygiene and have room for them, the distal is still tough for them to clean. Power brushes and junior toothbrushes help, but cleaning 3Rd's is a constant battle for the patient as well. They really have to stay focused. I think in all the years I have been practicing, I can count on one hand the patients who I felt did a good job of cleaning the distal of thirds.

What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. I have suggested that patients that have difficulty cleaning the distals of third molars, second molars as well, wrap a small piece of gauze around the tooth. The gauze is moved in a back and forth motion, like one is shining a shoe. An end tuft brush also works well on the distals of molars. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had great success teaching patients to use the perio-aid for the distal of third molars..reduced pockets and elimination of bleeding!

    ReplyDelete